Irene offers varied experience in educational and institutional facilities. Her experience in the design of academic facilities ranges from renovation to new construction. As President of IN2 Architecture, Irene is involved in all aspects of a project, including visioning, programming, master planning, schematic design, design development, construction documents and contract administration. Irene keeps up with the latest instructional & curriculum trends in school design, ensuring her client’s buildings are designed with student success in mind.
Irene is extremely active in the community holding numerous leadership positions and memberships to professional and non-profit organizations.
Board positions include Interlink North Texas, which connects business to public education, as well as the Collin College Foundation, which raises funds for college scholarships and grants. Irene also serves as the Chair for the Association for Learning Environments (A4LE) Southern region Foundation, which is responsible for providing scholarships to the region. Her other involvements include sitting on the board for the Collaborative for High Performance Schools and serving as a member of Hearts and Hammers for the last three years.
In addition, she has served in numerous leadership roles for A4LE, including Chair. She is the first person to ever receive two Chairman’s awards from the organization. Previously, Irene led the A4LE Katrina/Rita task force that provided assistance to the St. Bernard Parish schools in Louisiana, and she is currently involved in the organization’s Hurricane Harvey Task Force.
Awards and Designations
- D/FW Minority Supplier Development Council
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council
- A4LE Fellowship Award 2018
- A4LE Southern Region Service Award 2017
- Dallas Business Journal Women in Business Award 2017
- A4LE International Chairman’s Award 2016
- A4LE International Service Award 2014
- A4LE Southern Region Service Citation 2011
- A4LE International Service Award 2011
- A4LE Southern Region Distinguished Service Award 2010
- A4LE Southern Region Service Citation 2009
- A4LE International Planner of the Year 2009
- A4LE Southern Region Service Citation 2008
- A4LE Southern Region Planner of the Year 2008
- A4LE Southern Region Service Citation 2007
- A4LE International Chairman’s Award 2007
- A4LE Southern Region Service Citation 2006
- A4LE Southern Region President’s Award 2006
- A4LE International Service Citation 2005
- A4LE International Distinguished Service Award 2005
- A4LE Southern Region Service Citation 2004
- A4LE Southern Region Service Citation 2003
- A4LE Southern Region Cornerstone Award 2003
- A4LE Southern Region Service Citation 2002
- A4LE International Service Citation 2002
- A4LE Gulf Coast Chapter Leadership Award 2001-2003 Term
Today, architecture plays a critical role in implementing new models, technologies and pathways for student success, and Irene is helping lead the industry into the future.
Having received the Association of Learning Environment’s Lifetime Achievement Award, Irene continues to demonstrate her passion and commitment to excellence by championing the importance of learning environments in K-12 and higher education facilities.
Irene has served as an expert on a vast range of architecture topics from how design can prevent school shootings to how Pokémon Go can be a guide to next generation schools. Most recently, she was quoted as a subject matter expert in the book, “Humanizing the Education Machine,” and serves as a frequent expert resource for top industry trade publications and journals, including School Planning & Management and Commercial Architecture. Irene will also be a contributor to an upcoming book, “Wellbeing and Education.”
When working with her clients, Irene does not rely on industry trends, but rather she helps provide a glimpse into the future, which enables PBK and the school districts she works with to stay one (or more) step ahead.
- Chapter 26: Learning Environments Matter: Taking Learning outside the Classroom
- Breaking the Mold of School Instruction and Organization
- Contributor on “Humanizing the Education Machine”
- Contributor on “Whole – What Teachers Need to Help Students Thrive”
- Awe Inspiring Schools, Association for Learning Environments
- Neuroscience in School Design, School Construction News
- Designing Safe and Secure Schools, School Construction News
- Pokémon Go, an Unexpected Inspiration for Next Generation Learning Environments, Childhood Magazine
- The Educational Village: Moving towards a healthier, more sustainable school environment, School Planning & Management
- Improving informal learning spaces through biophilic design, School Construction News
- Outdoor Playing = Outdoor Learning, Association for Learning Environments
- Today’s Learners and the Next Generation of Schools, School Construction News
- Innovative Classrooms of 2021: The Learner Think Tank, Association for Learning Environments
- Thinking Outside The Box- Reinventing the Traditional Classroom, Association for Learning Environments
- Awe Inspiring Schools
- Pokemon Go: An unexpected inspiration for learning environments
Awards and Certifications
Although customer satisfaction is our No. 1 achievement, we’re proud when the work we do earns the notice of those we respect. We appreciate the clients who entrust us to create innovative spaces to train the next generation of leaders. We have received designations and awards from several organizations including: